The Centre for Research Training in Foundations of Data Science, funded by Science Foundation Ireland and Skillnet Ireland and supported and facilitated by Technology Ireland ICT Skillnet, is a large-scale collaborative initiative between the University of Limerick, University College Dublin, and Maynooth University. The Centre combines the expertise of world-class academics, international collaborators and industry partners, to create a centre of excellence in PhD training.
The SFI Centre for Research Training in Foundations of Data Science is partnered with a range of small and medium enterprise and multinational organisations in the private and public sectors across a diverse range of industries. Together with our Enterprise Alliance members, our aim is to create a pipeline of highly skilled graduates to engage with industry and drive innovation in the Irish economy.
This large-scale collaborative initiative between the University of Limerick (UL), Maynooth University (MU) and University College Dublin (UCD) will train a cohort of 130+ PhD students with world-class foundational understanding in the horizontal themes of Applied Mathematics, Statistics and Machine Learning. These fundamental themes will be fused together by applying them to real-world challenges across five vertical themes including Data Analytics, Privacy & Security, Health & Wellbeing, Smart Manufacturing, and Networks.
This unique PhD training programme fosters a cohort-based training environment, which supports students to collaborate with industry through training and industry placement; to collaborate with international research teams, and to work across multiple disciplines. At the heart of the Centre vision is understanding the importance of preparing you, the student, with a wide breadth of technical and transversal skills to equip you with the skills to translate your research into meaningful, real-world applications.
Organisational Benefits in Joining
- Access to an emergent talent pipeline comprising a minimum of 130 PhD students over the next 6 years.
- Engage with our PhD talent on a one-to-one basis by offering a 12-week industry placement to our students on an annual basis with no cost to your organisation.
- Bespoke training opportunities available to our Enterprise Alliance members led by academic leaders in mathematics, statistics and machine learning across three institutions (UL, MU & UCD).
- Access to advanced master class events by internationally renowned speakers in applied mathematics, statistics, and machine learning.
- Become an employer of choice by advancing the personal development of one of your key employees by offering them the opportunity to undertake a PhD with us.
What organisations are involved
Click here for the official Centre for Research Training in the Foundations of Data Science website
Click here to access the press release